Frog eating snake is always startling (Video)
Published : 19 Oct 2017, 17:23
A perfectly-timed photograph of a carnivorous frog eating a snake has resurfaced on Reddit after years - but it remains as startling as ever.
Posted on Reddit two days ago, it shows a snake peeping out from a large green frog’s throat, presumably before it is swallowed.
Since being shared online, the photograph, aptly titled ‘One Last Scream Into the Abysssss’, has been ‘upvoted’ over 3,000 times.
According to the National Geographic, the picture is several years old and was probably taken in Australia.
Conservation biologist and National Geographic Explorer Jodi Rowley identified the species as an Australian green tree frog, Litoria caerulea.
This frog can be found all over Australia and New Guinea, according to the National Geographic.
Whether the snake is a common meal for frogs is hard to say.
‘It really has more to do with prey being smaller than the mouth size and moving across the frog’s field of view,’ says Karen Lips, a conservation biologist at the University of Maryland. Basically, if the frog can eat it, it probably will, even though its regular diet consists of insects and sometimes mice.
- Most viewed
- Amaranth Walnut Salad Recipe
- Keep vigil on crimes in jail: President
- Asaduzzaman Noor and Shykh Seraj named for Independence Award
- Teenager held for ‘raping’ Sunamganj minor girl
- Power generation sets new record; crosses 10,000 MW
- ‘Robber’ killed in gunfight with Rab at Gabtoli
- Woman found dead in Narsingdi
- 2 to die for killing man in Manikganj
- 2 years of Tonu murder: Protesters demand justice
- 5 Rohingya ‘robbers’ held in Cox’s Bazar
- Airstrike on Syria Ghouta kills 15 children taking shelter in school: Monitor
- 8 dead in Mali ethnic clashes
- Palestinian President calls US ambassador to Israel ‘son of a dog’
- ‘Any actions & tricks to split China are doomed to failure’ – Xi
- Myanmar is worst-performing country for aid access
- Profile: Bangadeshis killed in US-Bangla plane crash
- 'Mentally much stronger now'
- Plane crash: Father, daughter laid to rest
- DNA profiling of 5 unidentified bodies this week
- Putin says will engage with West after record vote win