BNP frustrated at PM’s address
Published : 13 Jan 2018, 13:06
BNP on Friday claimed that the nation has got frustrated with Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina’s address to the nation as there is no indication for reaching a political understanding over the next general election.
Giving his party’s instant reaction to the PM’s speech, BNP secretary general Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir also said the Prime Minister’s stance on the election-time government will only deepen the country’s existing political crisis.
“We didn’t find any sign in the Prime Minister’s speech for a political negotiation and resolving the current crisis. It’s a matter of utter frustration,” he said.
The BNP leader further said, “We think there’s nothing in the Prime Minister’s address to resolve the crisis. Rather, it’ll push the country towards another crisis.”
Fakhrul was talking to reports at BNP chairperson Gulshan office after the Prime Minister’s address to the nation.
Earlier, the Prime Minister in her address made it clear that the next general election will be held as per the Constitution, and expressed her high optimism that all the parties registered with the Election Commission will take part in the polls for upholding the country’s democratic process.
Sheikh Hasina said this while addressing the nation marking the completion of her government's four years in office after the January-5, 2014 national election.
Fakhrul said people had an expectation that the Prime Minister will come up with some directions for holding a credible and meaningful national election overcoming the current problem. “It’s regrettable that she couldn’t do it which made the nation disappointed.”
He said the county’s people want a fair and credible election and they will not accept any unjustified move of the government.
Referring to Prime Minister’s statement that the next election will held as per as Constitution, the BNP leader said it has demonstrate that the 11th parliamentary elections will not be possible to hold in a fair and acceptable manner.
- Most viewed
- Amaranth Walnut Salad Recipe
- Keep vigil on crimes in jail: President
- Asaduzzaman Noor and Shykh Seraj named for Independence Award
- Teenager held for ‘raping’ Sunamganj minor girl
- Power generation sets new record; crosses 10,000 MW
- ‘Robber’ killed in gunfight with Rab at Gabtoli
- Woman found dead in Narsingdi
- 2 to die for killing man in Manikganj
- 2 years of Tonu murder: Protesters demand justice
- 5 Rohingya ‘robbers’ held in Cox’s Bazar
- Airstrike on Syria Ghouta kills 15 children taking shelter in school: Monitor
- 8 dead in Mali ethnic clashes
- Palestinian President calls US ambassador to Israel ‘son of a dog’
- ‘Any actions & tricks to split China are doomed to failure’ – Xi
- Myanmar is worst-performing country for aid access
- Profile: Bangadeshis killed in US-Bangla plane crash
- 'Mentally much stronger now'
- Plane crash: Father, daughter laid to rest
- DNA profiling of 5 unidentified bodies this week
- Putin says will engage with West after record vote win