No bar on 4G auction now
Published : 14 Jan 2018, 13:54
The Supreme Court today cleared the way for Bangladesh Telecommunication Regulatory Commission (BTRC) for auctioning off 4G spectrum for the telecommunication industry in the country.
The SC extended its chamber judge’s order that stayed a High Court directive halting the auction.
A five-member bench of the Appellate Division headed by Justice Md Abdul Wahhab Miah who is performing duties as the chief justice, passed the order after disposing of a petition filed by BTRC seeking a stay on the HC order.
“The Appellate Division heard the counsel for all the parties and at 11:30am gave an order that the stay given earlier by the chamber judge shall continue and there by disposed of the application,” said Mahsib Hossain, a Supreme Court lawyer.
Earlier on January 11, the SC stayed a HC order that halted the auctioning of 4G spectrum for the telecommunication industry of Bangladesh.
On the same day, the HC stayed effectiveness of two BTRC circulars inviting applications for the 4G spectrum auctioning. A HC bench passed the order following a writ petition filed by a wireless internet provider.
It also sought explanation from the authorities concerned of the BTRC and the government why the circulars should not be declared illegal. Bangla Lion Communications Ltd filed the writ claiming that BTRC issued the circular in contravention of the clauses 4.2 and 4.06(3) of broadband wireless guideline, 2008, petitioner's lawyer Ramzan Ali told reporters.
Attorney General Mahbubey Alam appeared for the BTRC.
Meanwhile, mobile phone operators, including state-run Teletalk and now out-of-service Citycell, will be applying for 4G licence within the deadline at noon today as the government plans to hold the spectrum auction on February 13.
A top official of Citycell, which stopped providing service in October last year, confirmed it yesterday, saying they are preparing to re-enter the telecommunication business.
Senior officials of Teletalk and the remaining three private operators also informed of their preparations.
- Most viewed
- Get hands on healthy food this yoga day
- Fan moments at FIFA World Cup Russia 2018
- Brazil to provide support for development of football in Bangladesh
- 29000 academic bodies work to mobilise anti-narcotics public opinion
- New Zealand PM gives birth to baby girl
- SC Order on Khaleda's bail in 2 cases July 5
- Tk 1,400cr additional fund okayed for Padma Bridge
- ‘Get knocked up by FIFA players, win $$$ and Whoppers’: Burger King shamed for offensive ad
- 'Ronaldo is like a good port wine, he knows how to age best'
- Argentina faces Croatia tonight
- Suarez sends Uruguay into last 16
- Costa nets lucky goal as Spain beat Iran
- UK's May defeats Brexit rebels, but divisions still reign
- Pressure on Messi against Croatia after Ronaldo scores again
- Zico to visit Bangladesh soon: Brazilian ambassador
- Ronaldo header sees off Morocco
- Keep it up, PM to women cricketers
- Body of ‘drug trader’ found in Chuadanga
- Mother ‘commits suicide’ after killing son in Panchagarh
- Neymar hopes for a ‘better’ game against Costa Rica