Bir Protik Kakon Bibi no more
Published : 22 Mar 2018, 11:43
Freedom fighter Bir Protik Kakon Bibi has passed away at MAG Osmani Medical College Hospital on Wednesday night. She was reportedly aged 103.
Kakon Bibi, the Liberation War heroine, breathed her last at 11:05pm, said Brig Gen AKM Mahbubul Haque, director of the hospital.
The body was kept at the hospital, he said, adding that the body will be handed over to her family on Thursday morning.
Earlier on Monday night, she was admitted to the intensive care unit (ICU) of MAG Osmani Medical College Hospital due to serious health complications.
She was suffering from asthma and heart diseases for long time and recently she got an attack of pneumonia, said physician Mosaddek Hossain, a doctor of the hospital.
The freedom fighter was admitted under the observation of medicine expert physician Nazmul Islam, said physician Mosaddek, adding, “Later, she was shifted to the intensive care unit under the observation of physician Shabbhochachi Roy.”
A medical board was formed on Wednesday for her treatment, he added.
In 1971, Kakon Bibi was arrested and brutally tortured by Pakistani army as she worked as a war spy and fought against the Pak army.
She fearlessly took part in some 20 battles actively.
She sustained bullet wounds on her leg at the Ambari fight. Bibi bore the bullet marks on her body unto her death.
Kakon Bibi along with her family was living at Jirargaon of Doarabazar upazila in Sunamganj district.
- Most viewed
- Get hands on healthy food this yoga day
- Fan moments at FIFA World Cup Russia 2018
- Brazil to provide support for development of football in Bangladesh
- 29000 academic bodies work to mobilise anti-narcotics public opinion
- New Zealand PM gives birth to baby girl
- SC Order on Khaleda's bail in 2 cases July 5
- Tk 1,400cr additional fund okayed for Padma Bridge
- ‘Get knocked up by FIFA players, win $$$ and Whoppers’: Burger King shamed for offensive ad
- 'Ronaldo is like a good port wine, he knows how to age best'
- Argentina faces Croatia tonight
- Suarez sends Uruguay into last 16
- Ronaldo header sees off Morocco
- Costa nets lucky goal as Spain beat Iran
- Zico to visit Bangladesh soon: Brazilian ambassador
- Pressure on Messi against Croatia after Ronaldo scores again
- Neymar hopes for a ‘better’ game against Costa Rica
- UK's May defeats Brexit rebels, but divisions still reign
- Keep it up, PM to women cricketers
- Body of ‘drug trader’ found in Chuadanga
- Mother ‘commits suicide’ after killing son in Panchagarh