Habibun Nahar gets AL ticket for Bagerhat-3 by-poll
Published : 22 May 2018, 15:20
Bangladesh Awami League yesterday nominated Habibun Nahar, wife of Mayor-elect of Khulna City Corporation (KCC) Talukdar Abdul Khalek, to contest the Bagerhat-3 (Rampal-Mongla) by-election slated for June 26.
The nomination was finalized at a meeting of the Awami League Parliamentary Nomination Board (ALPNB) held at Ganabhaban, the official residence of the Prime Minister, yesterday evening.
AL President and Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina chaired the meeting.
"The ALPNB unanimously nominated Habibun Nahar to contest the Bagerhat -3 (Rampal-Mongla) by-poll," an Awami League press release signed by its Office Secretary Dr Abdus Sobhan Golap said.
The Bagerhat-3 constituency fell vacant as former MP Talukdar Abdul Khalek tendered his resignation from parliament on April 10 to contest the KCC elections.
The Election Commission (EC) on May 16 announced the schedule for the by-election to Bagerhat-3 constituency fixing June 26 for the voting.
According to the schedule, the deadline for submission of nomination paper is May 24 while the date for scrutinising nomination papers is May 27 and the last date for withdrawal of candidature is June 3.
The EC has a constitutional obligation to hold any parliamentary by-polls within 90 days after the constituency concerned falls vacant.
- Most viewed
- Get hands on healthy food this yoga day
- Fan moments at FIFA World Cup Russia 2018
- Brazil to provide support for development of football in Bangladesh
- 29000 academic bodies work to mobilise anti-narcotics public opinion
- New Zealand PM gives birth to baby girl
- SC Order on Khaleda's bail in 2 cases July 5
- Tk 1,400cr additional fund okayed for Padma Bridge
- ‘Get knocked up by FIFA players, win $$$ and Whoppers’: Burger King shamed for offensive ad
- 'Ronaldo is like a good port wine, he knows how to age best'
- Argentina faces Croatia tonight
- Suarez sends Uruguay into last 16
- Ronaldo header sees off Morocco
- Costa nets lucky goal as Spain beat Iran
- Zico to visit Bangladesh soon: Brazilian ambassador
- Pressure on Messi against Croatia after Ronaldo scores again
- Neymar hopes for a ‘better’ game against Costa Rica
- Keep it up, PM to women cricketers
- UK's May defeats Brexit rebels, but divisions still reign
- Body of ‘drug trader’ found in Chuadanga
- Mother ‘commits suicide’ after killing son in Panchagarh