6 more ‘drug peddlers’ killed in ‘gunfights’ across country
Published : 23 May 2018, 12:24
As the nationwide drive against drugs continues, four more suspected drug peddlers were killed in separate incidents of reported gunfights in Cumilla, Jamalpur, Rangpur, Gaibandha and Kushtia early Wednesday.
According to reports, 47 people were killed in ‘gunfights’ across the country since May 12.
Of the Wednesday’s victims, two each were killed in Kushtia while one each in Cumilla, Jamalpur, Rangpur and Gaibandha districts.
In Cumilla, Nurul Absar Isa, a top listed drug peddler was killed in reported gunfight between his cohorts and police in Gumti embankment area of Adarsha Sadar upazila early Wednesday.
Police arrested Nurul on Tuesday and following the information provided by him, a police team, led by additional Superintendent of Cumilla Police (sadar Circle) Tanvir Salehin, conducted a drive in the area to recover drugs, said Abu Salam, officer-in-charge of Kotwali Model Police Station.
Sensing the presence of the law enforcers, the associates of Nurul opened fire to police, forcing them to fire back that triggered a gunfight.
Nurul was wanted in seven cases filed with different police stations, said the OC.
In Jamalpur, a suspected drug peddler was killed in a reported gunfight with police at Sankanda in the municipality area, said Nasimul Islam, officer-in-charge of Sadar Police Station.
The identities of the deceased could not be known immediately.
In Rangpur, Shaheen, 45, an alleged drug peddler and son of Shahidur alias Sirajul Islam of Abhirampur Sukanchaki village in the city was killed in a reported gunfight with police at Hazirhat Bridge area in the city around 2 am.
Saifur Rahman, additional superintendent of Rangpur police, said the gunfight took place as a patrol team of police went there after receiving information of drug dealing in the area.
Police also recovered one pistol and 129 bottles of Phensidyl from the spot.
In Gaibandha, Raju Mia, a listed drug peddler and son of Abdul Jabbar of Raigram in Palashbari upazila, was killed in a reported gunfight between his cohorts and Rapid Action Battalion (Rab) at Bisramgacchi village in the upazila early in the morning.
In Kushtia, Fatik alias Gaffar, 37, an alleged drug peddler, was killed in a reported gunfight at Lahini Para area in the district town.
Being tipped-off that some drug traders gathered in the area, a police team conducted a drive there to arrest them, said Abdul Khaleq, officer-in-charge of Kumarkhali Police Station.
At one stage, sensing the presence of the law enforcers, the criminals opened fire on them, forcing them to fire back that triggered a gunfight, police said.
Five policemen were injured during the gunfight, said the OC.
Police also recovered a firearm, a bullet, 700 pieces of Yaba tablets and 500 grams of hemp from the spot.
Besides, Aminul Islam, officer-in-charge of Bheramara Police Station, said Liton Sheikh, 40, son of Golbar Sheikh of Naudapara village, was killed in the gunfight that took place near Hawakhali Brick Kiln filed in the upazila early in the morning.
Police also recovered a LG gun, three bullets, 500 pieces of Yaba tablets and some heroin from the spot.
- Most viewed
- Get hands on healthy food this yoga day
- Fan moments at FIFA World Cup Russia 2018
- Brazil to provide support for development of football in Bangladesh
- 29000 academic bodies work to mobilise anti-narcotics public opinion
- New Zealand PM gives birth to baby girl
- SC Order on Khaleda's bail in 2 cases July 5
- Tk 1,400cr additional fund okayed for Padma Bridge
- ‘Get knocked up by FIFA players, win $$$ and Whoppers’: Burger King shamed for offensive ad
- 'Ronaldo is like a good port wine, he knows how to age best'
- Argentina faces Croatia tonight
- Suarez sends Uruguay into last 16
- Ronaldo header sees off Morocco
- Costa nets lucky goal as Spain beat Iran
- Zico to visit Bangladesh soon: Brazilian ambassador
- Pressure on Messi against Croatia after Ronaldo scores again
- Neymar hopes for a ‘better’ game against Costa Rica
- Keep it up, PM to women cricketers
- UK's May defeats Brexit rebels, but divisions still reign
- Body of ‘drug trader’ found in Chuadanga
- Mother ‘commits suicide’ after killing son in Panchagarh