HC summons Basic Bank scam investigation officers
Published : 23 May 2018, 16:58
The High Court on Wednesday summoned all the investigation officers (IO) of 56 graft cases filed over the BASIC Bank loan scam to appear before it on Wednesday next.
The HC bench of justice M Enayetur Rahim and justice Shahidul Karim asked the IOs, including Anti-Corruption Commission (ACC) director Syed Iqbal Hossain, to appear before it to explain their position over why they could not finish investigation on scheduled time.
The court also asked them to appear along with all documents of the cases, said ACC lawyer Khurshid Alam.
He said as per the law, an investigation officer can take a maximum of 180 days to finish his task but the investigation of the cases could not be finished even after two and half years.
The ACC filed 56 cases with three police stations in the capital accusing more than 100 individuals, including 26 bank officials, in September 2015 while the commission filed another five cases last year.
On 14 July, 2014, the central bank sent a report to the ACC about the detail of embezzlement and found the bank’s former chairman Sheikh Abdul Hye Bacchu's illegal influence in all the activities of the bank.
According to an inquiry of Bangladesh Bank, about Tk 4.5 billion was swindled out of Basic Bank during the six years Bachhu served as its chairman.
He resigned on 4 July 2014, after the finance ministry had sent a letter to the Bangladesh Bank to dissolve the then existing committee of the bank on 29 May, 2014.
- Most viewed
- Get hands on healthy food this yoga day
- Fan moments at FIFA World Cup Russia 2018
- Brazil to provide support for development of football in Bangladesh
- 29000 academic bodies work to mobilise anti-narcotics public opinion
- New Zealand PM gives birth to baby girl
- SC Order on Khaleda's bail in 2 cases July 5
- Tk 1,400cr additional fund okayed for Padma Bridge
- ‘Get knocked up by FIFA players, win $$$ and Whoppers’: Burger King shamed for offensive ad
- 'Ronaldo is like a good port wine, he knows how to age best'
- Argentina faces Croatia tonight
- Suarez sends Uruguay into last 16
- Ronaldo header sees off Morocco
- Costa nets lucky goal as Spain beat Iran
- Zico to visit Bangladesh soon: Brazilian ambassador
- Pressure on Messi against Croatia after Ronaldo scores again
- Neymar hopes for a ‘better’ game against Costa Rica
- Keep it up, PM to women cricketers
- UK's May defeats Brexit rebels, but divisions still reign
- Body of ‘drug trader’ found in Chuadanga
- Mother ‘commits suicide’ after killing son in Panchagarh