Khaleda in jail for corruption, says PM
Published : 11 Jul 2018, 18:24
Pointing at BNP Chairperson Khaleda Zia, Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina on Wednesday said the government did not arrest her out of any political motive but she is in jail after being convicted by the court for the embezzlement of orphans’ money.
“We didn’t arrest her for politics. Had we wanted so, we could’ve done that in 2015 and 2014. She’s in jail due to a court verdict. The case proceedings continued for 10 years,” she told Parliament replying to a supplementary question from Awami League MP Nurjahan Begum (Women Seat-42).
The Prime Minister said the BNP chairperson is in jail after being convicted on corruption charges for embezzling orphans’ money. “There’re many seasoned lawyers and Barristers in BNP. But all of them failed to prove that Khaleda Zia is innocent,” she added.
Sheikh Hasina said BNP changed section-7 of the party’s charter just before the court’s verdict against Khaleda Zia as BNP leaders knew that she is an offender.
As per the section-7 of BNP’s charter, anyone being convicted on corruption charge cannot remain in the party’s leadership position.
“This is a stigma (Kolonko) for the women community as a woman means a mother. How a person being a mother steals or misuses money of an orphan. It’s a shamefor our women community,” Hasina said.
The Prime Minister said they always want a democratic process continue in the country and the country will march forward smoothly as it does now.
About the election system, she said more than 6,000 elections -- local government polls and by-polls—were held under her government but no one can raise any question against any election.
- Most viewed
- Keto or vegan? Hear it from the nutritionist
- Happy Birthday Priyanka Chopra: 5 times actress turned heads
- Wonder benefits of coconut oil
- Three people killed in Thailand helicopter crash
- Robert Miller likely new US envoy to Bangladesh
- Google faces record 4.3-bn-euro EU fine over Android
- HSC, equivalent exams results tomorrow
- FAO recognizes Bangladesh as 3rd top fish producing country
- Govt. took all steps for conservation of Sundarbans: PM
- Sonam Kapoor's Truly 'The Good Wife'