Chairmen of 59 district council take oath
Published : 11 Jan 2017, 17:14
First ever elected chairmen of 59 district councils have taken oath today.
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina administered the oath at a function at Prime Minister's Office (PMO) here this morning.
The elections to 59 district councils were held on December 28 after 16 years of passing the relevant law in 2000. It was the first direct election in the 131-year history of the district council.
Elections to Kushtia and Bogra district councils were not held due to legal complications while elections to three hill district councils are held under a separate law.
Oath of the elected members of the district council would be held on January 18.
Rural Development and Cooperatives Minister Khandaker Mosharraf Hossain and Minister for Road Transport and Bridges Obaidul Quader were present on the occasion conducted by Abdul Malek, secretary of the LGRD Ministry.
Cabinet members, PM's advisors, presidents and general secretaries of district chapters of Awami League and senior government officials were present.
- Most viewed
- England’s Stokes sold for record $2.16m at IPL
- 17 receive Ekushey Padak
- Beware! Belly Fat Can Indicate Heart Risk
- Killers of lawmaker Liton identified: IGP
- Cabinet clears draft Animal Welfare Law
- Norwegian FM to pay homage to language martyrs
- Blogger Rajib killing: Condemned convict, another held in city
- JP to form alliance to participate in next polls: Ershad
- PM mourns death of district AL vice president Hadiuzzaman
- Banglees's successes cannot be wiped out: PM