Chairmen of 59 district council take oath
Published : 11 Jan 2017, 17:14
First ever elected chairmen of 59 district councils have taken oath today.
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina administered the oath at a function at Prime Minister's Office (PMO) here this morning.
The elections to 59 district councils were held on December 28 after 16 years of passing the relevant law in 2000. It was the first direct election in the 131-year history of the district council.
Elections to Kushtia and Bogra district councils were not held due to legal complications while elections to three hill district councils are held under a separate law.
Oath of the elected members of the district council would be held on January 18.
Rural Development and Cooperatives Minister Khandaker Mosharraf Hossain and Minister for Road Transport and Bridges Obaidul Quader were present on the occasion conducted by Abdul Malek, secretary of the LGRD Ministry.
Cabinet members, PM's advisors, presidents and general secretaries of district chapters of Awami League and senior government officials were present.
- Most viewed
- Vegetable Kebobs Recipe
- Drinking coffee can reduce diabetes risk
- Combating stigma, unhygienic practices
- Alia wants long Bollywood journey
- Australian car-making ends with last GM plant closing
- One can register 20 SIMs against an NID card: Tarana Halim
- DU ‘Gha’ unit admission test question paper ‘leaked’!
- EU leaders brainstorm ways to speed up Brexit talks
- Rohingya Crisis: Unicef wants urgent action in 4 key areas
- Now Suu Kyi’s name removed from Oxford college common room