'Zainul Utsab' begins
Published : 29 Dec 2017, 18:03
A three-day 'Zainul Utsab' began on Friday at the premises of the Faculty of Fine Arts (FFA) of Dhaka University, marking the 103rd birth anniversary of Shilpacharya Zainul Abedin.
The programme began with placing wreaths on the mausoleum of the renowned painter in the morning.
Cultural Affairs Minister Asaduzzaman Noor inaugurated the festival while Secretary General of the Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectorial Technical and Economic Cooperation (BIMSTEC) M. Sahidul Islam and engineer Mainul Abedin were present as special guests.
Vice-Chancellor of Dhaka University Akhtaruzzaman presided over the function.
The festival includes painting exhibition, musical event, screening of films, documentary and dance performance.
The festival will remain open from 10 am to 8 pm everyday until December 31.
Zainul Abedin was a Bengali painter who got the breakthrough in 1944 with his Famine Series paintings of 1943.
In 1948 he helped establish the Institute of Arts and Crafts (now Faculty of Fine Arts) at Dhaka University. He was given the title Shilpacharya (Great Teacher of the Arts) in Bangladesh for his artistic and visionary qualities.
- Most viewed
- Five killed in Rangpur, Gaibandha road crashes
- 'Killer' Nura held over Banani businessman murder
- Eid holidaymakers start leaving capital
- Moon sighting committee meets Friday
- 5 Reasons why Brazil is the favorite to win the World Cup
- FIFA World Cup 2018 kicks off Today
- Another suspect drug peddler killed in Chandpur gunfight
- 14 June Births
- 14 June Deaths
- 14 June Events