100% power in 10 more upzilas on Sunday
Published : 08 Sep 2017, 14:20
With the aim of providing electricity facility to all the people of the country by 2021, the government will bring 10 more upzilas under cent percent electricity coverage on Sunday.
The upazilas which will be brought under 100 percent electricity coverage are: Mollahat and Fakirhat of Bagherhat, Hakimpur of Dinajpur, Kotchandpur of Jhenaidah, Fenchuganj and Sadar of Sylhet, Bheramara of Kushtia, Bhairab of Kishorganj, Sitakunda of Chittagong and Sadar of Narsingdi district.
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina is expected to inaugurate 100-percent electricity coverage in the country's 10 upazilas on Sunday morning at her official residence Ganabhaban.
Apart from this, the Prime Minister will inaugurate Ashuganj 450 MW North Combined Cycle, Simple Cycle Plant (North) and Keraniganj furnace-oil based plant having 108 MW generation-capacity.
Moreover, she will also open transmission of additional 60 MW power from Tripura plant, India.
"The government is pledged-bound to supply 100% electricity to every household by 2021," State Minister for Power, Energy and Mineral Resources Nasrul Hamid told BSS here yesterday.
Highlighting the measures taken by the Awami League government to make the country self-reliant in power production, he said currently 80 percent people of the country are getting electricity and the power-generation capacity reached 15,761 MW.
"The ministry is working with the aim to build a "Sonar Bangla" as dreamt by Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman," he added.
Talking to BSS, Chairman of Bangladesh Rural Electrification Board (BREB) Major General Moin Uddin said 16 upazilas have already been brought under 100 percent electricity coverage.
"Thirty-five more upazilas are ready for formal inauguration," he added.
The BREB is expecting to bring 460 upazilas under 100 power coverage by the end of the year and all the 491 upzilas will come under cent percent electricity coverage in phases by 2021, he further added.
The BREB chairman also said about 1.78 crore consumers are getting electricity from its Palli Bidyut Samity offices across the country.
"We have also fixed a target to bring system loss down to 11 percent.
- Most viewed
- Coffee has more power than you ever thought: 3 cups a day helps you live longer
- Spend too much time on social media? It can cause tension in your real life relationships
- 29 education ministry officials transferred
- PM opens, lays foundation stones of 33 schemes in Rajshahi
- Shah Rukh met Canadian PM Trudeau, family
- Australia top T20I rankings
- Foundation for first-ever Shaheed Minar in Netherlands laid
- 2 cops among 4 held for looting Satkhira trader’s money
- Set more anti-graft instances to improve score: TIB
- 8 killed in Taliban attack in Afghanistan
- UN Security Council set to vote on Syria ceasefire
- Peru bus accident: 44 dead as bus plunges into river
- More than 100 girls ‘missing’ after Boko Haram school attack
- Israel foiled Australia 'plane terror plot'
- Settle rule on Marma sisters in 6 weeks: SC
- Trump considers arming teachers to stop shooting
- Netherlands to remain focused with Rohingya issue at UNSC
- Khaleda’s appeal accepted, bail hearing Sunday
- Australia top T20I rankings
- Bangladesh influx part of Pakistan’s proxy war with China aid: Indian Army chief