Govt to distribute 35.43 crore free textbooks
Published : 19 Dec 2017, 13:41
The government will distribute 35,42,90,162 textbooks free of cost among the primary and secondary level students in the academic year 2018.
This year, the government printed additional 10.70 lakh textbooks for the students of next academic year compared to last year and the textbooks will be distributed on the first day of the New Year free of cost.
Education Minister Nurul Islam Nahid came up with the information while talking to journalists after visiting Mataul Bright and Ananada Printing Press at Matuail in the capital on Monday.
He said, “We have printed an additional 10.70 lakh textbooks for the students of next academic year compared to last year meaning the number of students has increased.”
“Printing works of these textbooks have already been completed. We have reached 97 percent textbooks at the educational institutions and the remaining will be sent by this week,” said Nahid.
The minister said the free textbooks will be distributed among pre-primary, primary, secondary, ibtedayi, dakhil, vocational, SSC vocational, small anthropological group and visually challenged students across the country.
Over 40 crore schoolchildren across the country will be celebrating the Textbook Festival receiving books free of cost for their new classes on the first day of the new year joining the festivity at schools and madrasahs.
“This (festival) is the outcome of our sincere commitment to reach the books on the first day of the year,” Nahid said, adding that this has reduced the rate of school dropouts and increased the number of students at primary and secondary levels.
- Most viewed
- Amaranth Walnut Salad Recipe
- Keep vigil on crimes in jail: President
- Asaduzzaman Noor and Shykh Seraj named for Independence Award
- Teenager held for ‘raping’ Sunamganj minor girl
- Power generation sets new record; crosses 10,000 MW
- ‘Robber’ killed in gunfight with Rab at Gabtoli
- Woman found dead in Narsingdi
- 2 to die for killing man in Manikganj
- 2 years of Tonu murder: Protesters demand justice
- 5 Rohingya ‘robbers’ held in Cox’s Bazar
- Airstrike on Syria Ghouta kills 15 children taking shelter in school: Monitor
- 8 dead in Mali ethnic clashes
- Palestinian President calls US ambassador to Israel ‘son of a dog’
- ‘Any actions & tricks to split China are doomed to failure’ – Xi
- Myanmar is worst-performing country for aid access
- Profile: Bangadeshis killed in US-Bangla plane crash
- 'Mentally much stronger now'
- Plane crash: Father, daughter laid to rest
- DNA profiling of 5 unidentified bodies this week
- Putin says will engage with West after record vote win