Fighting Low Haemoglobin? Not anymore!
Published : 09 Jan 2018, 12:31
Lead a healthy life maintaining healthy levels of Haemoglobin.
What is Haemoglobin? It is made up of iron-rich protein molecules in red blood cells that carries oxygen from the lungs to the tissues of the body and also carries carbon dioxide from the tissues to the lungs. When a person’s hemoglobin level is measured below the lowest limits of normal for their age and sex, it is said to be low Haemoglobin. The person suffering with it is described as being anemic.
The normal range for Haemoglobin for men is 13.5 to 17.5 grams per decilitre.
The normal range for Haemoglobin for women is 12.0 to 15.5 grams per decilitre.
Causes of anemia:
Deficiency of iron, folic acid or vitamin B 12
Kidney disorders, bone marrow disorders, genetic disorders
Blood loss from trauma, surgery, ulcer or colon cancer
Frequent blood donation
Bleeding in urinary tract infection
Heavy menstrual bleeding
Symptoms of anemia:
Dizziness or general fatigue
Shortness of breath, fast or irregular heartbeat
Restless legs syndrome
Swelling of tongue or soreness
Cravings to eat ice, dirt or clay
A tingling or crawling feeling in legs
Adding iron to your normal diet is a simple way to promote the natural production of hemoglobin.
The most efficient natural ways that are effective to restore iron to a normal level and thus help boost your hemoglobin level:
Enrich your diet with iron: Green leafy vegetables, asparagus, peas, lean meat, oysters, chicken liver, prunes, whole eggs, dry fruits like pumpkin seeds, dates, almonds and raisins, beans and lentils like moong dal, masoor dal, toor dal, urad dal, chhole and rajma, herbs like basil, coriander, spearmint, dried parsley and bay leaf, gooseberry, jaggery, tofu, apple, iron-fortified grains like barley, semolina, millet, maize and rice are essential to be included in your diet for making healthy red blood cells and boost haemoglobin.
Consume more vitamin B12 and folate: Anaemia can occur if you lack vitamin B12 and folate. This kind of anemia is called vitamin-deficient anemia. Pomegranate, seafood, healthy meat and citrus fruits are good to be added to your menu if you have low levels of vitamin B12 and folate.
Boost intake of vitamin C: Eat more and more of nutritious veggies and fruits like red and yellow bell peppers, tomatoes, leafy greens, potatoes, broccoli, cantaloupe, lemon, papaya, berries, kiwis, oranges, and grapefruits. These foods are rich sources of vitamin C that may help to absorb iron and promote the production of hemoglobin.
If your hemoglobin level is low due to the low level of iron, you may take iron supplements in the form of medicines prescribed by your doctor.
Stop consuming tea, coffee, aerated drinks especially colas, alcohol, and tobacco as they are iron-blocking foods. Milk, cheese and other calcium-rich foods, gluten-rich foods like wheat, pasta, and other wheat products are also linked to contributing causing anemia.
Physical exercises are recommended to produce more hemoglobin. Do a moderate or high-intensity workout at least five days a week for 45 to 60 minutes a day.
Blackstrap molasses contain iron, folate and many B vitamins that can help produce and promote RBC. Mix two teaspoons of black molasses with two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar in one cup of water and drink once daily.
Though, iron is an essential nutrient needed by everyone but, if you’re susceptible to low hemoglobin you need more iron.
It is common among patients recovering from diseases, growing children, pregnant women and menstruating women. Their bodies lose out on a lot of blood and need to restore hemoglobin to normal levels. Take precautions timely or it may lead to anemia.
- Most viewed
- Amaranth Walnut Salad Recipe
- Keep vigil on crimes in jail: President
- Asaduzzaman Noor and Shykh Seraj named for Independence Award
- Teenager held for ‘raping’ Sunamganj minor girl
- Power generation sets new record; crosses 10,000 MW
- ‘Robber’ killed in gunfight with Rab at Gabtoli
- Woman found dead in Narsingdi
- 2 to die for killing man in Manikganj
- 2 years of Tonu murder: Protesters demand justice
- 5 Rohingya ‘robbers’ held in Cox’s Bazar
- Airstrike on Syria Ghouta kills 15 children taking shelter in school: Monitor
- 8 dead in Mali ethnic clashes
- Palestinian President calls US ambassador to Israel ‘son of a dog’
- ‘Any actions & tricks to split China are doomed to failure’ – Xi
- Myanmar is worst-performing country for aid access
- Profile: Bangadeshis killed in US-Bangla plane crash
- 'Mentally much stronger now'
- Plane crash: Father, daughter laid to rest
- DNA profiling of 5 unidentified bodies this week
- Putin says will engage with West after record vote win