Baked Fish in Banana Leaf Recipe
Published : 13 Sep 2017, 17:39
Because of the mighty river Brahmaputra, fish takes the award for being the most popular ingredient in Assamese cuisine. Fish is eaten in almost every form, be it a curry, stew, fry, dried or baked.
One of the most integral part of every traditional Assamese meal is Baked Fish in Banana Leaf. This delicious dish is also known as "Paatot Diya Maas" in Assamese, and is prepared with fish, banana leaves, mustard oil, green chilli, and lemon juice. It is like a chutney with fish and onions baked over flame and wrapped in banana leaf, along with the pungent aroma of mustard oil. Serve this dish with steamed rice and dal, to enjoy this lip-smacking side dish.
Ingredients of Baked Fish in Banana Leaf
1 kilograms fish
2 teaspoon chopped green chilli
2 teaspoon salt
2 banana leaves
2 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoon mustard oil
How to make Baked Fish in Banana Leaf
The first step is to prepare the banana leaf which will be used for baking the fish. Clean the banana leaf and dry it with a kitchen towel. Pass the leaf over low fire to make the leaf pliable.
Next, mix together the fish pieces, half of the chopped onions, lemon juice and green chilies in a large bowl. Put the fish along with the mixed ingredients on the banana leaf and pack it into a parcel. Secure the parcel with a string.
Now, place the secure parcel on a griddle over medium heat. Roast on both sides till the aroma of the baked fish starts coming out. Each side will take about 10-15 minutes to cook.
Once the parcel is opened, add the remaining chopped onions and the mustard oil to the baked fish. Mash everything together using your hand or a fork.
- Most viewed
- Get hands on healthy food this yoga day
- Fan moments at FIFA World Cup Russia 2018
- Brazil to provide support for development of football in Bangladesh
- 29000 academic bodies work to mobilise anti-narcotics public opinion
- New Zealand PM gives birth to baby girl
- SC Order on Khaleda's bail in 2 cases July 5
- Tk 1,400cr additional fund okayed for Padma Bridge
- ‘Get knocked up by FIFA players, win $$$ and Whoppers’: Burger King shamed for offensive ad
- 'Ronaldo is like a good port wine, he knows how to age best'
- Argentina faces Croatia tonight
- Suarez sends Uruguay into last 16
- Costa nets lucky goal as Spain beat Iran
- UK's May defeats Brexit rebels, but divisions still reign
- Pressure on Messi against Croatia after Ronaldo scores again
- Zico to visit Bangladesh soon: Brazilian ambassador
- Ronaldo header sees off Morocco
- Keep it up, PM to women cricketers
- Body of ‘drug trader’ found in Chuadanga
- Mother ‘commits suicide’ after killing son in Panchagarh
- Neymar hopes for a ‘better’ game against Costa Rica