Messi breaks Buffon duck
Published : 13 Sep 2017, 17:07
Lionel Messi was finally was able to score past legendary Italian goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon in a 3-0 win at the Camp Nou.
The game was heading to half time 0-0 when Messi created space on the edge of the area. Picking up a pass from new signing Ousmane Dembele, Messi took on defenders and played a sharp one-two with Luis Suarez before unleashing a drive through the legs of Mehdi Benatia to slot it into the bottom corner of the net.
Scoring past the 39-year old Buffon is a first for Messi in his illustrious career where he has now scored 96 goals in the Champions League.
He failed to score past Buffon on three occasions before last night but for Leo Messi it was just an anomaly. Messi did not take long to get his second.
Iniesta, who has been brilliant all game, sliced open the Juve midfield before finding Messi near the area. Messi went around two defenders in the 69th minute and his clever body angle deceived the experienced Buffon, who dived to the wrong side. Messi coolly slotted in to the right hand side of the post, again at the bottom corner and Buffon had no chance.
The great keeper had earlier thwarted another effort from the legendary Argentine when the ball crashed to the post and went off play after rebounding against Buffon’s back.
Messi did not score against Buffon in the Champions League final in 2015 where Barcelona won the title courtesy of a 3-1 win. The Argentine also did not score in last year’s quarterfinal meetings where Juve won by a 3-0 aggregate score.
- Most viewed
- Get hands on healthy food this yoga day
- Fan moments at FIFA World Cup Russia 2018
- Brazil to provide support for development of football in Bangladesh
- 29000 academic bodies work to mobilise anti-narcotics public opinion
- New Zealand PM gives birth to baby girl
- SC Order on Khaleda's bail in 2 cases July 5
- Tk 1,400cr additional fund okayed for Padma Bridge
- ‘Get knocked up by FIFA players, win $$$ and Whoppers’: Burger King shamed for offensive ad
- 'Ronaldo is like a good port wine, he knows how to age best'
- Argentina faces Croatia tonight
- Suarez sends Uruguay into last 16
- Costa nets lucky goal as Spain beat Iran
- UK's May defeats Brexit rebels, but divisions still reign
- Pressure on Messi against Croatia after Ronaldo scores again
- Zico to visit Bangladesh soon: Brazilian ambassador
- Ronaldo header sees off Morocco
- Keep it up, PM to women cricketers
- Body of ‘drug trader’ found in Chuadanga
- Mother ‘commits suicide’ after killing son in Panchagarh
- Neymar hopes for a ‘better’ game against Costa Rica