Brazil vs Costa Rica Match in numbers
Published : 22 Jun 2018, 15:48
Brazil meet Costa Rica in their second match of the group stage today in the Saint Petersburg Stadium after being held to a 1-1 draw against Switzerland in their World Cup 2018 opener.
Brazil will be desperate to get their first victory in this World Cup and Costa Rica, who are at the bottom of the table will also be looking for a win against the Selecao. The match is scheduled to start at 6:00 pm in Bangladesh time. Let’s look at some of the statistics ahead of the encounter.
1) Brazil have won nine of their 10 previous internationals against Costa Rica, losing only in a friendly in March 1960.
2) This is the third meeting between Brazil and Costa Rica at the World Cup, with the former inflicting Costa Rica's first-ever defeat on them at the tournament in 1990 (1-0), before a 5-2 victory in 2002
1) Brazil are winless in three World Cup matches (D1 L2), their worst run since June 1978, when they went four matches without a win.
2) Philippe Coutinho's goal against Switzerland was his 11th for Brazil - five of those have come from outside the box.
3) Brazil conceded from the first shot on target they faced at the 2018 World Cup - from their last 13 shots on target faced at the World Cup, they have conceded 10 goals.
4) Brazil's Neymar was fouled 10 times in their opening match against Switzerland - it was the most a player has been fouled in a World Cup match since 1998, when England striker Alan Shearer was fouled 11 times against Tunisia.
1) Costa Rica's only previous World Cup victory against South American opposition came in the 2014 tournament (3-1 vs Uruguay).
2) Costa Rica lost their first match against Serbia, ending a five-game unbeaten run at the World Cup finals - they haven't lost back-to-back World Cup games since June 2006, when they lost four in a row.
3) Against Serbia, striker Marco Urena had just 14 touches in 67 minutes for Costa Rica, with three of those in the opposition box - his replacement, Joel Campbell, had 24 touches and four in the opposition box.
4) Costa Rica have scored from just one of their last 31 shots at the World Cup.
- Most viewed
- Doob to represent Bangladesh in 91st Oscar
- Prime Minister leaves London for New York
- Pakistan bat against India in Asia Cup
- Bangladesh win toss and elected to bat against Afghanistan
- Iran's president blames US after attack on military parade
- 16 killed in anti-terrorism operation in Pakistan
- Rock your locks with stylish chic buns
- Tempting sev puri to satisfy your craving
- James Bond to be back in 2020
- World leaders at UN look for progress on N.Korea, brace for Trump