Ronaldo 'The Best'
Published : 10 Jan 2017, 14:17
Cristiano Ronaldo won FIFA's rebranded player of the year award on Monday, beating off his old rival Lionel Messi who was pulled out of the ceremony only a few hours earlier by his club Barcelona.
Italian Claudio Ranieri won the coach of the year award for leading outsiders Leicester City to the English Premier League title.
The 31-year-old Ronaldo was rewarded for a year in which he won the Champions League with his club Real Madrid and then Euro 2016 with Portugal. Argentine Messi was second in the vote and Frenchman Antoine Griezmann third.
"I'm very happy and I can say that 2016 was the best year of my career," said Ronaldo as he was presented the award by FIFA president Gianni Infantino.
Messi missed the ceremony along with all other Barcelona players who had been invited.
"With the aim of prioritising preparations for Wednesday’s game against Athletic Club, FC Barcelona have decided that the players recognised in the awards will not be travelling to Switzerland for the ceremony," said the club in a statement.
Ronaldo also won the France Football's Ballon d'Or, the other major international award for the sport, last month.
Ronaldo also won the old FIFA award once in 2008 and also in 2013 and 2014 when it was organised jointly with France Football magazine.
Malaysian Mohd Faiz Subri won the FIFA Puskas Award for the best goal of the year.
2016 Awards at a glance
- The Best FIFA Men’s Player Award: Cristiano Ronaldo.
- The Best FIFA Women’s Player Award: Carli Lloyd.
- The Best FIFA Men’s Coach Award: Claudio Ranieri.
- The Best FIFA Women’s Coach Award: Silvia Neid.
- The FIFA Puskás Award 2016: Mohd Faiz Subri.
- The FIFA Fair Play Award: Atletico National.
- The FIFA Fan Award: Dortmund fans and Liverpool fans.
- The FIFA lifetime achievement award: Falcao.
- The FIFA FIFPro World11: Neuer, Dani Alves, Pique, Ramos, Marcelo, Modric, Kroos, Iniesta, Messi, Suarez, Ronaldo.
- Most viewed
- Want to end nasty politics, Khaleda tweets
- President for resolving CHT land dispute to explore dev potentials
- BSC to get new 6 ships by 2018
- Korean envoy for stronger cultural ties with Bangladesh
- Land Minister’s son, 10 others land in jail
- Indian climber missing on Everest, guide in bad condition
- Nothing to get scared of chikungunya: Sayeed Khokan
- After 10-year gap, Thai lotuses bloom again
- Unplanned Tourism Effects Biodiversity of Cox’s Bazar: Secretary of MoEF
- Heat wave may continue for some days