Bangkok markets you shouldn’t miss
Published : 08 Jun 2017, 16:14
Nestled between scores of high-rise buildings and mesmerising temples, these Bangkok markets are spiked with a certain energy and madness. Here, if you roll up your sleeves and dig in the right places, you'll find everything from Thai handicrafts and fashionable clothing to a variety of delectable eats.
Work your way through these eclectic markets in Bangkok and you'll soon come to realise why the city is often called the shopping capital of Thailand.
S Sombat Kanamuji
Stocking a vast collection of used, vintage, rare, and new bikes from its Pathum Wan warehouse, S Sombat Kanamuji provides a great opportunity to pick up some wheels.
Ban Nam Phueng Floating Market
Probably one of the most easily accessible floating markets in the city, Ban Nam Phueng gives a glimpse of traditional Thai life while avoiding most of the touristy clichés.
Khao San Road Market
Best described in the book The Beach as ‘the centre of the backpacking universe’, Khao San Road is a melting pot of myriad cultures. If there’s one spot in the city that represents the diversity of Bangkok, it’s here.
There is something oddly kitschy, charming and nostalgic about Bangkok’s Chinatown—where lofty neon signs vie for visual prominence and roads are choc-a-bloc with colourful stalls.
Sampeng Lane Market
One of Bangkok’s oldest wholesale markets, Sampeng is an epic alley crammed with bric-a-brac, costume accessories, honking motorbikes, smoky food carts and shouting hawkers.
Damnoen Saduak Floating Market
Get an up-close glimpse of rural Thai shopping culture as you cruise along the floating market of Damnoen Saduak on a long-tailed speedboat.
Chatuchak Weekend Market
The size of several football fields put together, a visit to the Chatuchak Weekend Market is an authentic Bangkok experience.
Among the most thriving markets in Bangkok, Pratunam Market is conveniently located at a walking distance from the BTS Chit Lom metro station, in the happening district of Pratunam.
- Most viewed
- Get hands on healthy food this yoga day
- Fan moments at FIFA World Cup Russia 2018
- Brazil to provide support for development of football in Bangladesh
- 29000 academic bodies work to mobilise anti-narcotics public opinion
- New Zealand PM gives birth to baby girl
- SC Order on Khaleda's bail in 2 cases July 5
- Tk 1,400cr additional fund okayed for Padma Bridge
- ‘Get knocked up by FIFA players, win $$$ and Whoppers’: Burger King shamed for offensive ad
- 'Ronaldo is like a good port wine, he knows how to age best'
- Argentina faces Croatia tonight
- Suarez sends Uruguay into last 16
- Costa nets lucky goal as Spain beat Iran
- UK's May defeats Brexit rebels, but divisions still reign
- Pressure on Messi against Croatia after Ronaldo scores again
- Zico to visit Bangladesh soon: Brazilian ambassador
- Ronaldo header sees off Morocco
- Keep it up, PM to women cricketers
- Body of ‘drug trader’ found in Chuadanga
- Mother ‘commits suicide’ after killing son in Panchagarh
- Neymar hopes for a ‘better’ game against Costa Rica