PM urges women to discover their own potential
Published : 09 Dec 2017, 12:38
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina on Saturday urged the country’s women to discover their own potential and value defying all the odds and obstacles to stand on their own feet.
"Women always think how can they flourish their merit and potential…they have to take their own initiatives, they must not dependent on others. There’ll be obstacles and hurdles, but women have to move forward overcoming all those," she said.
Sheikh Hasina said this while inaugurating Begum Rokeya Day and distributing Begum Rokeya Padak-2017 at Osmani Memorial Auditorium in the city.
The PM said this is not possible for men alone to build a society with their own efforts. "It’s not possible to build a sustainable society keeping the women aside," she said.
Hasina said in a society where women constitute half of the total population that cannot go a long way without the contributions of women. "So, all are needed equally to build and develop a society properly."
She also urged all irrespective of men and women to devote themselves to the development of the country.
The Ministry of Children and Women Affairs organised the programme with State Minister for Women and Children Affairs Meher Afroze Chumki in the chair. Women and Children Affairs Secretary Nasima Begum delivered the welcome address at the function.
Recipients of the Rokaya Padak-2017 Freedom Fighter and organiser Mazeda Shawkat Ali also spoke on the occasion.
- Most viewed
- Amaranth Walnut Salad Recipe
- Keep vigil on crimes in jail: President
- Asaduzzaman Noor and Shykh Seraj named for Independence Award
- Teenager held for ‘raping’ Sunamganj minor girl
- Power generation sets new record; crosses 10,000 MW
- ‘Robber’ killed in gunfight with Rab at Gabtoli
- Woman found dead in Narsingdi
- 2 to die for killing man in Manikganj
- 2 years of Tonu murder: Protesters demand justice
- 5 Rohingya ‘robbers’ held in Cox’s Bazar
- Airstrike on Syria Ghouta kills 15 children taking shelter in school: Monitor
- 8 dead in Mali ethnic clashes
- Palestinian President calls US ambassador to Israel ‘son of a dog’
- ‘Any actions & tricks to split China are doomed to failure’ – Xi
- Myanmar is worst-performing country for aid access
- Profile: Bangadeshis killed in US-Bangla plane crash
- 'Mentally much stronger now'
- Plane crash: Father, daughter laid to rest
- DNA profiling of 5 unidentified bodies this week
- Putin says will engage with West after record vote win