PM urges women to discover their own potential
Published : 09 Dec 2017, 12:38
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina on Saturday urged the country’s women to discover their own potential and value defying all the odds and obstacles to stand on their own feet.
"Women always think how can they flourish their merit and potential…they have to take their own initiatives, they must not dependent on others. There’ll be obstacles and hurdles, but women have to move forward overcoming all those," she said.
Sheikh Hasina said this while inaugurating Begum Rokeya Day and distributing Begum Rokeya Padak-2017 at Osmani Memorial Auditorium in the city.
The PM said this is not possible for men alone to build a society with their own efforts. "It’s not possible to build a sustainable society keeping the women aside," she said.
Hasina said in a society where women constitute half of the total population that cannot go a long way without the contributions of women. "So, all are needed equally to build and develop a society properly."
She also urged all irrespective of men and women to devote themselves to the development of the country.
The Ministry of Children and Women Affairs organised the programme with State Minister for Women and Children Affairs Meher Afroze Chumki in the chair. Women and Children Affairs Secretary Nasima Begum delivered the welcome address at the function.
Recipients of the Rokaya Padak-2017 Freedom Fighter and organiser Mazeda Shawkat Ali also spoke on the occasion.
- Most viewed
- Get hands on healthy food this yoga day
- Fan moments at FIFA World Cup Russia 2018
- Brazil to provide support for development of football in Bangladesh
- 29000 academic bodies work to mobilise anti-narcotics public opinion
- New Zealand PM gives birth to baby girl
- SC Order on Khaleda's bail in 2 cases July 5
- Tk 1,400cr additional fund okayed for Padma Bridge
- ‘Get knocked up by FIFA players, win $$$ and Whoppers’: Burger King shamed for offensive ad
- 'Ronaldo is like a good port wine, he knows how to age best'
- Argentina faces Croatia tonight
- Suarez sends Uruguay into last 16
- Costa nets lucky goal as Spain beat Iran
- Pressure on Messi against Croatia after Ronaldo scores again
- UK's May defeats Brexit rebels, but divisions still reign
- Zico to visit Bangladesh soon: Brazilian ambassador
- Ronaldo header sees off Morocco
- Keep it up, PM to women cricketers
- Body of ‘drug trader’ found in Chuadanga
- Mother ‘commits suicide’ after killing son in Panchagarh
- Neymar hopes for a ‘better’ game against Costa Rica