Peru bus accident: 44 dead as bus plunges into river
Published : 22 Feb 2018, 12:16
At least 44 people were killed and 24 others injured when a bus skidded off the road and plunged into a river in Peru’s Arequipa region, authorities said.
Seven of the injured are in serious condition, including three children, reports Efe news agency.
The accident occurred on Wednesday on the Pan-American Highway.
The authorities were still trying to determine what caused the bus to skid off the road and plunge 200 metres into the Ocona River.
The bus was travelling from Chala to Arequipa city, and was running on an expired operating permit, the transportation ministry said.
“My condolences to the families of the victims of the transit accident in Arequipa,” President Pedro Pablo Kuczynski tweeted.
Source: Efe news agency
- Most viewed
- Messi shares video of Bangladesh fans [ VIDEO ]
- 20 June Births
- 20 June Deaths
- 20 June Events
- Five killed in Rangpur, Gaibandha road crashes
- 'Killer' Nura held over Banani businessman murder
- Eid holidaymakers start leaving capital
- Moon sighting committee meets Friday
- 5 Reasons why Brazil is the favorite to win the World Cup
- FIFA World Cup 2018 kicks off Today