Paraguay opens embassy in Jerusalem, after US and Guatemala
Published : 22 May 2018, 13:11
Paraguay opened its new embassy in Jerusalem on Monday, following in the footsteps of the United States and Guatemala.
President Horacio Cartes dedicated the embassy, making Paraguay the third country to transfer its diplomatic mission in Israel from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem.
Romania, the Czech Republic and Honduras have said they are also considering doing the same.
President Donald Trump's announcement on Jerusalem in December was welcomed by the Israeli government. But it infuriated the Palestinians, who claim Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem as their future capital.
The U.S. Embassy move added fuel to the weekly Palestinian protests in Gaza demanding the right of return to Israel and the lifting of a decade-old naval blockade. The protests culminated last Monday, when Israeli forces killed nearly 60 Palestinians in clashes along the border.
The heavy death toll triggered a diplomatic backlash, with Turkey expelling Israel's ambassador and consul general and several European countries summoning the Israeli ambassadors to their foreign ministries for questioning.
But the U.S. Embassy move has also sparked others to rally in support of Israel.
The entrance to Jerusalem was lined with the flags of Paraguay on Wednesday and Israel's Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said at the ceremony that he was there to "salute" a great friend.
The opening of the embassy was "a great day for Israel, a great day for Paraguay, a great day for our friendship," Netanyahu said.
- Most viewed
- Get hands on healthy food this yoga day
- Fan moments at FIFA World Cup Russia 2018
- Brazil to provide support for development of football in Bangladesh
- 29000 academic bodies work to mobilise anti-narcotics public opinion
- New Zealand PM gives birth to baby girl
- SC Order on Khaleda's bail in 2 cases July 5
- Tk 1,400cr additional fund okayed for Padma Bridge
- ‘Get knocked up by FIFA players, win $$$ and Whoppers’: Burger King shamed for offensive ad
- 'Ronaldo is like a good port wine, he knows how to age best'
- Argentina faces Croatia tonight
- Suarez sends Uruguay into last 16
- Ronaldo header sees off Morocco
- Costa nets lucky goal as Spain beat Iran
- Zico to visit Bangladesh soon: Brazilian ambassador
- Pressure on Messi against Croatia after Ronaldo scores again
- Neymar hopes for a ‘better’ game against Costa Rica
- Keep it up, PM to women cricketers
- UK's May defeats Brexit rebels, but divisions still reign
- Body of ‘drug trader’ found in Chuadanga
- Mother ‘commits suicide’ after killing son in Panchagarh