Another magistrate testifies in Abrar killing case

Published : 14 Oct 2020, 17:12

Sahos Desk

A magistrate on Wednesday testified in the case lodged over the murder of Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (BUET) student Abrar Fahad.

Dhaka Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Sorafujjaman Ansari, who recorded confessional statements of the accused, testified as a prosecution witness (PW)-8 and it was cross-examined by the defence afterwards.

At the end of today’s hearing, Judge Abu Zafar Md Kamaruzzaman of Dhaka Speedy Trial Tribunal-1 adjourned the hearing till Thursday.

Earlier, Dhaka Chief Metropolitan Magistrates Nivana Khayer Jessy and Sadbir Yasir Ahsan Chowdhury testified as prosecution witnesses in the case.

The tribunal on September 15 framed charges against all 25 accused in the case as it on September 9 had set September 15 to pass the indictment order while both prosecution and defence concluded their part of the hearing on charge framing on that day.

Earlier, on November 13, 2019, Dhaka Metropolitan Sessions Judge Court took into cognizance the charge sheet in the case filed by Detective Branch (DB) of police against 25 accused.

The case was later transferred to the speedy trial tribunal, allowing a plea of Abrar’s father.

The 25 accused are – Mehedi Hasan Russel, Anik Sarker, Ifti Mosharraf Sakal, Md Mehedi Hasan Robin, Md Meftahul Islam Jeon, Muntassir Alam Jemmy, Khandaker Tabakkharul Islam Tanvir, Md Muzahidur Rahman, Muhtasim Fuad, Md Moniruzzaman Monir, Md Akash Hossain, Hossain Mohammad Toha, Md Mazedul Islam, Shamim Billah, Moaj Abu Hurayra and ASM Nazmus Sadat, Istiak Ahammed Munna, Amit Saha, Md Mizanur Rahman alias Mizan, Shamsul Arefin Rafat, SM Mahmud Setu, Morsheduzzaman Jisan, Ehteshamul Rabbi Tanim, Morshed Amatya Islam and Mostaba Rafid.

According to the police, of the 25 accused, 11 took part in the gruesome murder directly and the other played role in the crime one way or another. Of those arrested, eight have given confessional statements before court.

BUET students and the varsity authorities found the seemingly lifeless body of Abrar, 22, on first-floor stairs of Sher-e-Bangla Hall and rushed him to Dhaka Medical College Hospital (DMCH), where doctors declared him dead around 6.30 am on October 7, 2019.

Abrar’s father filed the case with Chawkbazar Police Station against 19.

Source: BSS

  • Latest
  • Most viewed